Always the butt of the long running joke…”Next Year is our year”….the long title drought at Anfield seems all but over. After spending a number of season crafting a team worthy of Champions League glory, Jurgen Klopp has finally mastered the Premier League, and done so with a bang. Liverpool’s brand of football is not only scintillating to watch and virtually unplayable as opposition, but along the way they have smashed record after record to get to where they are, the cusp of Premier League glory. Lets take a look at some of the key stats that have helped to establish this season (that not even the most biased Liverpool fan could imagine…even in their wildest dreams!)…
- Firstly, to get a serious title bid underway this season, you had to agree, that Liverpool would need a good start. And by did they do that! 61 points in the first 21 games eclipsed the previous record set by Manchester City. With rivals dropping points left right and centre, the 61 points was the set up for pure domination of the league!
- Being unbeaten in 38 games is also a fact that still stands out amongst all. In the modern Premier League, one of the attractions and reasons that the league is so popular across the continent, is that it has a level of unpredictability meaning anyone on any given day can beat anyone else! Not in this case….38 games, or a full season of games, without a loss is unmatched in Premier League history, placing this current Liverpool team as perhaps one of the best ever!
- Those first 21 games also produced a record that again, staggers belief….for a team that play such open attacking football they have conceded only 14 goals with 6 clean sheets. This is perhaps why Virgil Van Dijk is considered to be such a key figure in the side. Without the solid defence, the 38 games unbeaten certainly wouldn’t have happened!
- Liverpool are on target for well over 100 points, the current record set by Manchester City in 2017-2018. Surely if that happens, there can be no argument about the Premier League finest?
- Are Liverpool the new invincible? Arsenal went 47 games without loss….would you bet against Liverpool of 2019-2020 breaking this? I certainly wouldn’t! And who will eventually end it?
- Liverpool are also on course to break Manchesters record of 16 away wins in a given season! If they go anywhere near that total of 16 then it wont be long before the 100 point barrier is broken!
- The record for most wins in a season is 32….Liverpool are well on track to achieve this! Barring a major slip up, 32 wins should be well within the grasp!
What other records may they break? Most goals? Longest time at the top? Largest points gap between 1st and 2nd? Whatever happens the Jurgen Klopp revolution at Anfield will set some records that may take a very very long time indeed. 2019-2020 will go down as a season to remember!